Rauschenberg - Forever in my heart!


When I first met Robert Rauschenberg I did not have any idea about how much influence he would have on my life or that I would represent him in my gallery in Washington, DC.  While visiting Madrid in the eighties I saw an exhibition of his work that included “Monogram” and “Canyon.”  Those two combines that Rauschenberg created in the 1950’s informed my eye and stay with me whenever I look at other art.  There is something about the incredible juxtaposition of collage and paint, image and magic that haunts me.

Later on when I became a friend and colleague of Bob’s the fact that we both came from Texas and had started out in humble backgrounds made us feel like family.  I remember Bob getting a great kick out of the fact that I had been in the “Miss U.S.A.” contest!  At the same time he looked at me for my potential and helped me become the person I am today.





It was the largeness of Bob’s personal vision and his concern for the world and people that changed me as much as he had changed my eye in “Monogram.”  I was moved and instructed by his incredible R.O.C.I. tour (here’s a link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIT328mjd7o) where he created art in each country, working with artist in the twenty-two countries he visited.  When I recently traveled to Cuba, the woman who guided me around recalled Bob fondly for his contribution to the local art school. My own outreach in helping young people as well as in leadership training is directly traceable to my mentor and friend, Robert Rauschenberg.  His legacy lives on and continues to inspire! 

No comments: